Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 13: Bad to the Bone!


What on Earth is a bone stimulator?  That's what people keep asking me.  That's exactly what I asked my orthopedist when he suggested I use one.  Well, this is it!  This little machine releases ultrasonic waves into my bones and stimulates the cells for bone growth.  Technology is amazing!  So, this is how it works: depending on the location of my bone break (I have 6 of these to do each day), I use either the weighted strap at the top (for my femur) or the strap beneath it which velcros on (this is for my tibia and fibula).  The round white thing on the straps is a little port which opens up.  I put some of the ultrasound gel on the little round, black transmitter, insert it into the port, and close the door.  Then I push the orange button and it's off and running!  My job is to sit there with it on the break for 20 minutes.  Remember, I said I have 6  places to use it?  That's 120 minutes or two hours a day (not to mention cleaning it in between each use).  So, I use it for an hour in the morning and an hour at night.  I really don't mind it, I just get bored.  It isn't painful, it just feels a little uncomfortable at times...kind of like a muscle cramping a bit.  The doctors tell me that it looks like it's helping and want me to keep using it.  Chances are that I'll be doing this for several months. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is really interesting. When I had P.T. for my neck and back years ago, they used some sort of ultra sound machine for deep muscle massage. It would make my muscles contract and then relax. It was the weirdest thing, feeling your muscles contract involuntary like that. I had never heard of a bone stimulator until you spoke about it. That is amazing. Glad it is working for you though. Hopefully it will help you get back on your feet that much quicker. (hugs) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete