- If I hadn't had help with me I wouldn't have made it in because there are no handicap buttons for the doors, I couldn't have opened them (especially when they are a double set of doors).
- To move through the restaurant was a joke. There was no way I could get my wheelchair between tables. They are too close to each other and/or chairs are in the way. So, I had to go across the front (where the registers are). Not the easiest thing to do in a fast food restaurant at lunch time. Thank goodness people are generally very kind to me.
- Reaching the soda machine from my wheelchair was very difficult (almost impossible). The counter is set up to hold a tray in the front, then the soda machines are set back behind that. Very, very difficult to reach.
- I didn't even attempt to use the restroom. Many public restrooms have large stalls that are "handicap stalls," but let me tell you, they aren't necessarily set up for someone in a wheelchair. Thank you Kohls and Target for family restrooms that are also handicap accessible and have more room to maneuver a wheelchair.
Thursday, January 12, 2012
Day 12: Thanks for the Help, Burger King
Today we decided to go to Burger King for lunch. I rolled my wheelchair in and looked for the handicap accessible table. This is what I found: a permanent table with a permanent chair. Now, there is a space to the side of that chair, where the table is cut on an angle. I probably could have rolled my wheelchair in there, if there had not been another permanent table with permanent chairs in the way (sorry, I didn't get those in the picture). Anyway, I just found this humorous. They do have tables with chairs that can be moved (although it's so tight that it's hard to find a place to put an extra chair). I just thought I'd show this to you because this whole ordeal has given me new perspective into what those with handicaps go through all the time. We think we are living in a world that is equipped to help these people, but let me tell you we have a long way to go! So, as long as I'm on my soapbox let me tell you about a few other things:
Labels:
Handicap wheelchair
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment